Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Yummy summer pasta

Now that it's the peak season for hass avocados, we've been eating quite a lot of them lately. One of my favorite recipes using fresh avocados is a quick, simple, and tasty pasta - perfect for a summer night that we'd rather spend enjoying "our backyard" instead of cooking!

Angela at Oh She Glows first inspired me to make this pasta, but I've adapted it a bit - namely I don't have a food processor! With the changes I've made, it's a perfect protein without meat, dairy free, gluten free, and crazy good for you. Avocados alone give you cholesterol-lowering fats, more potassium than a banana, a high amount of fiber, and an abundance of B, E, and K vitamins. Add in spinach, tomatoes, and quinoa and you're rocking an easy, well balanced meal!


For this recipe, you'll need:

* 1 box (8oz) quinoa pasta (I use Ancient Harvest elbows)
* 2 ripe avocados
* 1 Tbsp minced garlic
* 1 Tbsp cilantro
* Juice from 1/2 a lime
* 1 small container of cherry tomatoes
* 1 bag of baby spinach



To prepare:

- Pre-cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters, set aside

- Cook pasta as directed on box

-While pasta is cooking, stir/mash avocados, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice in large mixing bowl until homogenous and slightly creamy



- Add cherry tomatoes, fold into avocado mixture



- Strain the pasta once it's done cooking, and add to the avocado mixture

- Serve pasta over a bed of spinach and enjoy!



And now, after a fast and yummy dinner, take some time and smile about all the time you have left to relax! I know I savored every second of this sunset here...


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE avocados. And I really want to make this but the man isn't such a fan. How can I convince him otherwise?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe he's not a fan! I'm sure you have another incredible recipe he's tried that has avocados... I can't imagine life with no guacamole! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks great - I know my husband would love it! I think I may try it!

    www.highheelstosneakers.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should :) Let me know what you think!

      Delete