Monday, July 9, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Quinoa Curry

 
Before I started practicing yoga, I had never tried Indian food. Takeout Thai menus tempted me to dabble in the red, green, and panang curries, but the closest I got to trying real Indian food was garlic naan in the Trader Joe's frozen food isle.

Now that my yoga teacher training program is halfway complete, India's culture and history isn't as foreign to me. And considering food is a pretty dominant aspect of my cultural perception of any country, I decided to go to the grocery store, buy some curry powder, and experiment in the kitchen.

The final recipe turned out to be fast, inexpensive, and well rounded - perfect for a mid-week meal when I want to make something that will last two nights.

For this recipe, you'll need:

1 1/2 cups quinoa, pre-rinsed
3 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp for each pan used
A mixture of your favorite veggies, diced
(I used one large zucchini, two yellow squash, and one medium yellow onion)
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp curry powder
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 16oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

This will make enough for 5 full servings (or two dinners for two people and a bonus leftover lunch!)

1. Pre-cut, measure, and rinse all the ingredients above


2. Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven on med

3. Add the onion and garlic, sauté for ~3 minutes

4. Add the zucchini and squash, sauté another ~3 minutes


5. Add the quinoa, sauté for ~1 minute


6. Add the vegetable broth, curry powder, and chili powder, bring to a boil

7. Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat and cover. Cook until all the broth is absorbed (~10-15 minutes)

8. Heat the olive oil in a separate pan and add the garbanzo beans. Sauté until crispy


9. Fold the garbanzo beans into the quinoa mixture after all the broth is absorbed, and voilà!


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog!
    would love to follow each other! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! I’m always visiting your site for new ideas and inspiration for my own check it out http://cincity26.blogspot.com/ Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try this one for sure, and I will be back to check on other healthy recipes!
    Welcome to the blogger's world :)

    www.loulune.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed your recipe today. It's really tasty. My man loved it :)

      Delete